Updated to game version 0.027 as released 24 April 2014
- Multiplayer is currently included in Space Engineers. Players may host private, friends only or public servers.
- The browser function allows players to browse available servers. This list supports Steam match making.
- Players are currently able to influance anything in the game. Player 1 may create a ship, while there is nothing stopping player 2 from destroying it thru any means. Therefore consider any server, and public servers in particular open to griefing.
- Players are given as much freedom as possible when it comes to hosting their own worlds. When setting up the server, the owner may set who can join the server (Private/Friends/Public), limit the number of players, asteroids etc. He can also change the safety settings to turn meteors off.
- Due to worlds currently being 'hosted' by the owner of the save they are only available when the host is in (running) that saved world. I.E. if the host shuts down or changes worlds all other players are kicked out. This problem will be bypassed with the advent of dedicated servers.
- Worlds are persistent and can be loaded from save files at the server administrator’s discretion. Jus
- LAN support is also being planned for future updates. This will allow players to bypass the Steam based match making system.
Please see Servers for a list of player-run dedicated servers.
Both Creative and Survival modes are fully supported.
- Creative multiplayer - Same as the single player creative mode.
Forum users (and players) have already been creating factions, those factions are purely done on forums and aren't implemented in the game. You can see a list of them at the factions page.