Wheel Suspension 1x1
The Suspension Wheel 1x1 is a two-part functional block made up of the suspension, and pre-attached attached Wheel 1x1. Suspension in Space Engineers are blocks attached to the wheels that allow a vehicle to absorb large amounts of shock and impact from uneven surfaces, and a means to propel itself. With a wide range of properties to configure, it is not solely limited to ground-based vehicles, but any type of creation a player can put together, such as moving platforms, and space elevators.
- See "Wheel Blocks" for more in-depth explanation and information.
- Steering Angle - How far the wheel can steer in ° degrees.
- Steering Speed - How fast the wheel steers.
- Steer Return Speed - How fast the wheel moves back to neutral position after steering.
- Power - How much force in % percent the wheel will have for propelling the vehicle.
- Friction - How much friction the wheel will produce in %. Too much friction can cause the vehicle to flip over in corners, while low friction can cause slipping. The latter is usually the safer behavior.
- Damping - The damper component that will absorb an impact. Set it low (stiff) for even surfaces and high (soft) for bumpy ground.
- Strength - The 'spring' component of a damper that will reset the damper after an impact. Set it high for even surfaces to quickly regain stability and low for bumpy ground to allow the wheels to keep ground contact and to reduce the risk of launching the vehicle into the air.
- Height Offset - Controls the ground clearance by setting the center point the spring will try to hold. A negative value will result in more ground clearance. Make sure not to set it to the limits to keep some space for suspension travel in both directions.
- Suspension Travel - How much the wheel can move upwards and downwards to absorb impacts and keep ground contact. This will not work properly if the height offset is set to its negative or positive limit!
- The Wheel Suspension comes with an pre-attached Real Wheel 1x1 block that is different to the Wheel 1x1 that can be placed and built from the block selection screen.
- While the pre-attached wheel block cannot be replaced if destroyed, it can be repaired - always keep an eye on wheel health.
- Despite shock absorption they are relatively fragile, especially against Weapons fire.
- You sometimes cannot see antennas or beacons while driving a rover, if it has no thrusters.
- Workaround - You can add just a frame of thruster somewhere to workaround this.
- Settings update bug. If grid is resting on the flat surface, it can become "frozen". Thus changes you made into, for example, Strength will bi visible only when you move the rover or apply any physical interaction to it. Changing Height Offset helps to unfreeze grid too.